Friday, April 26, 2019

Theology on Tap: Newman's Kansas Connections


Monday, April 29 will be a Newman Day for me! I have my brief interview on the Son Rise Morning Show early in the morning. Then in the evening I travel to Hutchinson, Kansas to present to the Theology on Tap group. The poster above gives all the details.

I will talk briefly about Newman himself and the progress of his cause, which has been aided much by Catholics in the USA: the man who organized and developed the formal presentation of his cause for canonization was an American Jesuit, Father Vincent Blehl, and the two miracles sought and obtained through Newman's intercession occurred in the USA!

But my main focus will be all the events that I know of at least since 1979 that have taken place here in the diocese of Wichita, Kansas. All the great speakers, lectures, programs, presentations, etc. Many of the best Newman scholars in the world have been here: Father Ian Ker, Dr. John Crosby, Avery Cardinal Dulles, Joyce Sugg, Sister Kathleen Dietz, and many others. This is the Kansas Connection: through our Newman Centers and Kansas Newman College now Newman University, the name of Newman and his life and works have been part of our diocesan history.

No comments:

Post a Comment