Friday, June 8, 2012

More On Corpus Christi and St. Thomas Aquinas

As a follow-up to my article on PraytheMass.org, which I discussed on EWTN's Son Rise Morning Show, I submitted this article to Catholic Exchange, giving more detail, and texts, about the hymns St. Thomas Aquinas wrote for the liturgies on the Solemnity of Corpus Christi in the 13th century. As I'll discuss on the Sunday, the Solemnity of Corpus Christi was introduced to English Catholics in the 14th century, and was very popular. Catholics in England before the Reformation were devoted to worship of the Blessed Sacrament, as Eamon Duffy demonstrates so aptly in The Stripping of the Altars, with processions, the mystery plays, and of course, Mass. And here, as a great bonus, are some performances of these hymns, using the English translations by Hopkins and Caswell I've cited in my article.

No comments:

Post a Comment