Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sunday Mass at St. Germain-en-Laye

On November 21st, the Feast of Christ the King, my husband and I rode the RER A from Chatelet les Halles through central Paris (Auber, Etoile and La Defense stations) and Nanterre and Pecq to St. Germain-en-Laye for Sunday Mass at the parish church of that community outside Paris. It was raining when we arrived at the RER exit.
The church was full for 10 a.m. Mass (we arrived just a little late) and the organist was joined by a trumpet and trombone for festive music. We were impressed by how attentive the congregation was. Mark and I are always glad we have our Magnificat prayer books because they give some reading material during the homily. I heard the words "roi" and "humilite" mentioned often, but could not follow closely enough.
After Mass we took some pictures, especially of the shrine dedicated to James II, Mary Beatrice and their daughter Louise.
The World War I memorial was impressive and this medieval statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary, discovered buried after the French Revolution, is much beloved of the people in St. Germain-en-Laye.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I have also been to St. Germain-en-Laye and greatly enjoyed the village and Church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anonymous. St. Germain is not usually on the tourist trail! Easily reached and rather charming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoy your posts and your excellent writing. I always find St. Germain a pleasent place to go after the busy Paris.


    Fran Blake

    ReplyDelete